Catholic Bible Commission Pakistan (CBCP) is under Pakistan Catholic Bishops’ Conference. It was constituted in April 2002. Board of CBCP consists of one delegate from each Diocese.
The ministry of CBCP has its foundation in Dei Verbum, Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Vatican II, November, 1965). The fundamental purpose of CBCP is to make people lovers, believers and animators of the Word of God.
This vision is realized through the followings main objectives:
• Translating, updating and Publishing of the Holy Bible in Urdu and other local and cultural languages
• Provide Training and Formation for Bible leaders and animators making study of Biblical sciences available
• Preparing Bible related auxiliary material to make Word of God understandable and relevant to people
• Coordinating the promotion of the Biblical Apostolate in an organized manner
• Spreading missionary orientation for the Word of God among local church
• Ecumenical working together for the Word of God
• Ecumenical working together for the Word of God
CBCP conducts its activities mainly through Bible Promotion and Biblical Apostolate.
A. Ministry and Projects
Catholic Bible Commission Pakistan (CBCP) promotes its ministry for Reading, Training and Publication of the Word of God.
• Four-Years program (2004-2007) of “Promotion of Holy Bible”
• Golden Jubilee (1958-2008) of first Printing of Catholic Urdu Bible
• Celebration of “Year of the Word of God” (May 2008 - May 2009)
• Golden Jubilee 50 Awards for Bible promoters
• National Klam Congress Pakistan
• Bible Seminars on Biblical Sciences
• Klam Camps and Klam Conventions
• Bible Study Summer Camp, Ayubia (2017-2019)
• Bible Marathon Pakistan(2012, 2015)
• Catholic Bible Study (CBS) Tours(Jordan, Egypt, Turkey)
1. Golden Jubilee of Catholic Urdu Bible
CBCP celebrated Golden Jubilee of Catholic Urdu Bible (1958-2008) as Year of the Word of God in 2008. A
special year was declared open as Year of the Word of God.
2. Klam Ke Lakh Dost
The fundamental objective of Klam ke Lakh Dost (Hundred Thousand Friends of the Bible) is to make people
lovers, believers and animators of the Word of God. The Bible Reading Chart helps to read the entire Bible
in one year and ten months.
3. Bible Marathon Pakistan 2012
In October 2012 CBCP organized Bible Marathon at Marian Shrine in the Archdiocese of Lahore. Holy Bible was read for 7 days and 6 nights (127 Hours) without a break. There were 200 volunteers participated. About 1900 readers took part from all over Pakistan. Total participants were about 4000.
4. Klam Ka Saal (Year of the Word of God)- 2008
CBCP celebrated Klam Ka Saal (Year of the Word of God) on Golden Jubilee of Catholic Urdu Bible (1958-2008)
5. Klam Ka Saal (Year of the Word of God)- 2015
In view of Goledn Jubliee of Dei Verbum (Nov. 1965-Nov.2015) CBCP has declared a Year of the Word of God
Year of the Word of God will be solemnly launched on Sunday 15th November 2015 in the Archdiocese of Karachi
and will solemnly close on Sunday 13th November 2016 in the Archdiocese of Lahore.
CBCP has selected various themes in all seven dioceses to celebrate this significant event all over Pakistan.
||Archdiocese of Karachi
||Word of God and Church’s Teaching
||Diocese of Hyderabad
||Bible and Local Arts
||Diocese of Islamabad-Rawalpindi
||Bible and Biblical Sciences
||Diocese of Quetta
||Bible History and Culture
||Diocese of Multan
||Texts, Translations and Transmission of the Bible
||Diocese of Faisalabad
||National Bibliodrama Conference
||Archdiocese of Lahore
||Dei Verbum and Future of the Church
6. Bible Marathon Pakistan 2015
On Sunday 15th November 2015 CBCP organized Bible Marathon at St. Philip’s Church in the Archdiocese of Karachi
for three dioceses mainly, Diocese of Hyderabad and Diocese of Quetta. The whole Holy Bible was read for 7 days
and 6 nights (127 Hours) without a break.
There were many Volunteers from three dioceses from south of Pakistan participated and paid their services.
About 2000 readers took part in Bible Marathon while thousands of believers participated.
B. Training and Formation
• Elementary Courses of Biblical Languages
• Bible Animators Training Programs (Diocese Level)
• On Going Bible Study Program (Parishes)
• Principles for Pronunciation
• Training Workshop for Translators and Reviewers
• Overseas Training Programs and courses
1. On-Going Bible Study
CBCP organize On-Going Bible Study in different dioceses and Parishes. For this Bible Study syllabus is
made available. It is to promote biblical knowledge and literacy among Christian believers.
2. Studies in Biblical Sciences (SBS)
In order to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Dei Verbum (1965-2015) in a meaningful and effective manner Catholic
Bible Commission Pakistan (CBCP) launched Studies in Biblical Sciences (SBS), Distant Learning Education Program.
This is a four years Course through correspondence.
The SBS was solemnly launched from January 2015.
|One Year Certificate:
||Introduction to the Bible
|Two Years Diploma:
|Advance Level (Part I):
|Advance Level (Part II):
3. National Klam Quiz 2016
On the occasion of Golden Jubilee of Dei Verbum CBCP has organized National Klam Quiz 2016 during the Year of the
Word of God (Nov.2015-Nov.2016). This program is for the Catholic students of Class VI and VII from all over
The Quiz competition will be held at three levels mainly:
|First Phase (School):
||The New Testament
|Second Phase (Diocese):
||Historical Books of the Bible
|Third Phase (National):
||Prophetic and Wisdom Literature
• Catholic Urdu Bible
• Children’s Bible
• Synopsis of Gospels
• Dei Verbum
• 55 Propositions of Bishop Synod 2008
• Verbum Domini
• Evangelii Gaudium
• Catholic Tafseer-ul-Klam
• Many other Bible related Books
Catholic Tafseer-ul-Klam (TUK)
In 2013 CBCP launched four years (2013-2016) a program for of preparing Catholic Exegesis of the Holy Bible in Urdu. Besides exegesis of every book of the Holy Bible there will also 26 articles on various themes of Biblical Sciences.
There will be 36 books printed in four years. This program will certainly make people not only Text Friendly but also help them to undertake an Exegetical Study of the Bible. It will certainly raise the literacy standard of the Bible readers.
D. Future plans
• Ecumenical Translation of the Bible
• Greek-Urdu Interlinear (NT)
• Catholic Urdu Reference Bible
• Establishment of Pakistan Bible Institute (PBI)
• Bible Museum